Monday, May 7, 2007

Week 7: Wiki wisdom

 Here's what Will Richardson has to say about wikis and student learning:

“The collaborative environment that wikis facilitate,” writes Richardson, “can teach students much about how to work with others, how to create community, and how to operate in a world where the creation of knowledge and information is increasingly becoming a group effort”(Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms, 2006). The power of the wiki is in its ability to facilitate colllaboration of a type and scale that has never been possible before.

1 comment:

Joan Tracy said...

Hi Doug. I attended your CSLA wiki presentation. I had used wikis before I attended as a tool to quickly present good websites to students, but you really inspired me! I settled on seedwiki as my preferred wiki- maker, and had a bit of success this year. We made a couple of mythology wikis, a few class created study guides, and a pro/com wiki on banning Huck Finn. None were perfect, some failed to achieve the learning outcome, but I learned from them too.
So thank you!!